Title: Accounting Specialist
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Supervisor: Finance Director
Salary: $60,320 - $64,480
Position open till 02/15/2023
Date: January 19, 2023
Approved By: Fire Chief, Human Resources
The following job description is established by the District Fire Chief of the Mountain View Fire Rescue District to outline the basic duties and responsibilities of the above captioned position. This position is non-exempt from the minimum wage and overtime requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, Supplemental Insurance and PERA. Additional administrative duties may include preparing and proofreading correspondence, policies, or transcripts. May be called upon to research, compile, organize or analyze financial data for special projects or reports.
Under the general direction of the District Fire Chief and supervision of the Finance Director, this position performs a variety of routine accounting tasks which could include data entry, accounts receivable, accounts payable, assisting with preparation of records for audit, and other duties as assigned. The Accounting Specialist will analyze financial information, maintain complete records, and exhibit excellent interpersonal skills with both external and internal customers.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and characteristics. The list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all the functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.
Develops and maintains a sound plan of organization to ensure transactions are processed timely and accurately. Maintains vendor, open purchase order or other financial records, as required.
Processes accounts payable after determining that the invoice is in compliance with the terms and conditions of contracts, purchase orders, District policies and procedures.
Processes accounts receivable invoices after confirming information from the issuing internal department.
Regularly reviews aging reports and analyzes, researches, and resolves any discrepancies with vendor and/or customer statements. Interacts with outside vendors and/or customers and District personnel to provide information and resolve problems in a professional manner.
Assists the auditor and their staff throughout the annual audit process and provides necessary information as requested by the auditor and their staff.
Assists in other areas of finance, as necessary.
Demonstrates behavior that sets a positive example for personal accountability, integrity, and professionalism.
Drives motor vehicles safely and lawfully.
Performs other job-related tasks as assigned.
· High school diploma or GED
· Bachelor’s Degree in related field is desired
· Two (2) years of technical experience in accounting, or related field
· Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered
· Policies, procedures, and goals of the District
· District mission, vision, and values
· General office practices and procedures
· District accounting and budgeting policies, goals, and procedures
· Organizing, managing, and completing multiple tasks
· Accurate data entry
· Using Microsoft Office Suite; Business Central is ideal
· The safe and lawful operation of a motor vehicle
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals
• keep up to date technically with district technology systems and apply new knowledge to the job, including mastering new system applications as implemented by the District and department
• Speak, read and write the English language
• Complete tasks in an appropriate time frame without supervision
• Listen well and communicate effectively orally and in writing with various audiences
• Maintain confidentially, as required
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, the District Board, other agencies, vendors, customers and the general public
• Respond with tact, composure, and courtesy when dealing with difficult situations
• Perform the duties and maintain appropriate personal conduct, attitude, and appearance
Possess and maintain the following:
· Valid driver’s license.
· CPR or ability to obtain within the first 6 months of hire.
· Ambition to continually improve as a member of the District; in performance, teamwork and experience gained.
· Strive to progress the quality of the Department.
· Holds oneself and others accountable to the Department’s Vision, Mission and Value Statements.
· Ability to provide excellent customer service through quality job performance, communication, empathy, and engagement.
· Take pride in the involvement and advancement of the Department’s culture.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, hear, talk, stand, twist, and use repetitive motions, and demonstrate manual dexterity in the conduct of work. Work involves heavy (50 lbs. and over) lifting and carrying, sitting, standing, walking, pulling, pushing, crawling, bending, kneeling, and climbing to widely varying degrees depending on circumstances. Must be able to work under pressure/stress in emergency and non-emergency situations. The employee must be able to physically travel between District locations and other destinations.
This description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. Employee signature below constitutes employee's understanding of the requirements, essential functions, and duties of the position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Accounting Specialist 2023.pdf