Salary Range:$85,000.00 To 95,000.00 Annually
This position is a full-time benefitted exempt position
The following job description is established by the District Fire Chief of the Mountain View Fire Protection District to outline the basic duties and responsibilities of the above captioned position. This position is exempt from the minimum wage and overtime requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act. The Communications Specialist will oversee all communications involving the district including the development and implementation of a communications strategy to align the district’s mission, vision, values and strategic goals. The Communications Director is responsible for ensuring District information is communicated effectively and accurately to employees, residents, businesses, and other community members.
- Develop and manage district communication plan
- Research, develop and disseminate articles, press releases, newsletters, reports, photographic materials, videos, public service announcements, marketing communications, and other print and electronic publications for both internal and external purposes. Responsible for publishing the district’s Annual Report.
- Function as District Public information Officer (PIO). Responsible for critical communication protocols related to emergency management. This position must be able to communicate swiftly, strategically, and resourcefully in a crisis. Serves in an on-call capacity in order to respond to emergencies at any time in the event that information needs to be released to the public.
- Coordinate leadership communications, eliminate gaps in information and dissemination and strengthen relationships among employee groups.
- Manage implementation of over-arching social media strategy guidelines and planning documents, overseeing daily social media content development on all District social media channels including the district website.
- Coordinate with external stakeholders including community leaders and organizations to build resources and increase community engagement between the district and the towns we serve.
- Establish and build professional relationships with media and local news representatives, community leaders, governmental agencies, organizations and key stakeholders for the purpose of publicizing events and programs, and cultivating a positive image of the district; represent the District at various community events and organized forums
- Prepare and administer the marketing and communications budget, forecasting for staff, equipment, materials and supplies; submit budget recommendations and justifications; monitor expenditures against approved budget.
- Coordinate communications with Boulder and Weld County OEM
- Demonstrate behavior that sets a positive example for personal accountability, integrity, and professionalism.
- Drive motor vehicles safely and lawfully.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
BA/BS in communication, marketing, advertising, public relations, political science, public administration, or another related field. Requires 3-5 years of experience in the field of communications, local government, or external relations. Equivalent combination of applicable education and experience may be considered.
Experience with public policy and government entities.
- the district mission, vision and values.
- policies, procedures, and goals of the Mountain View Fire Protection District.
- how media outlets operate.
- the laws, rules and regulations that govern the release of confidential/criminal information to the public.
- and skill in the application of social media platforms, particularly in using social media as a crisis communications platform.
- and skill in using publishing software.
- and ability to develop and manage division level budget.
- the safe and lawful operation of a motor vehicle.
- professional level writing and grammatical skill.
- website content development and management ability.
- Microsoft Office suite of products.
- work in a team setting.
- learn and explain the functions of the district to the communities we serve.
- develop strategic plan and goals for communications division.
- work with other divisions to accomplish organizational objectives.
- use basic video production equipment and software.
- manage external contracts and contractors.
- develop and manage projects.
- develop and maintain relationships with external partners.
- analyze and problem solve internal and external communication issues.
- communicate effectively and strategically with multiple audiences across a range of platforms.
- craft and execute long-term strategy while responding to fast-paced, day-to-day demands in a timely fashion.
Possess and maintain the following:
- Valid Driver’s License.
- CPR certification, or the ability to obtain within 12 months of hire.
- Ambition to continually improve as a member of the District; in performance, teamwork and experience gained.
- Strive to progress the quality of the Department.
- Holds oneself and others accountable to the Department’s Vision, Mission and Value Statements.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service through quality job performance, communication, empathy, and engagement.
- Take pride in the involvement and advancement of the Department’s culture.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must operate within the context of established objectives. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, reach, talk, hear, see, and demonstrate manual dexterity. Work involves carrying, sitting, standing, walking, pulling, pushing, crawling, bending, kneeling, and climbing to widely varying degrees depending on circumstances. The employee is also required to perform light lifting. Must be able to work under pressure/stress in emergency and non- emergency situations. Ability to work on emergency scenes and in adverse weather conditions The employee must be able to physically travel between District locations and other destinations.